Thursday, June 7, 2007

It's Gonna Be a Lovely Day

It's already been a lovely day here in Philly. After finishing up lunch at GIWA (where I've now extracted the promise that I'll get the "spicier" bean paste sauce the next time I'm there, i.e., I'm now FINALLY a regular), I went on what was to be a quick stroll to peek into the window of a boutique on Walnut Street just a couple of block up (west?) from Rittenhouse Square. The store was (sadly) out of business. As I walked back to work on Sansom, I couldn't resist the urge to step into Fat Jack's where 3 young men of differing age and ethnicities were in the thick of a rather serious conversation about which issues of Spawn were the best (consensus -- Moore, Gaimen, or Morrison). There was some critique of Morrison and his "media-savviness" and the conversation then veered into the indie wave in movies. Still eavesdropping, I gave a slight nod to the store owner in his Arkham sweats (I'd kill to get that T-shirt in my size), and kept browsing until I found a book of short stories by Moore (his first forey into this form). The young man who was carrying on the "serious" movie/graphic novel indie genre conversation gave a thumbs up on my choice. They always treat me like Tinkerbell at a UFC (Ultimate Fighting Club) fight:o) It's quite sweet. Girls read comics too; even old girls like me.



As I hurried back to work (after having done the Blackberry, voice-mail emergency check), I had to go into one last store on Sansom (bet. 17th and 18th) -- the Joseph Fox Bookstore. Lest you think I while my time away bookstore hopping, I actually had a stated mission. I wanted to get a book for my little West Philly neighbor. Her comment about one of my dogs will always ring clear in my head -- "Her head is just like a SKULL!" she said. I took that as a compliment, of course, and I think it was meant as such. So, I promised to reward her artistic insight with a book from my collection. My plan (although she doesn't know about it) is to give her a book a month. She's already an avid reader I hear:o) In any case, she gave the perfect reason to get to know this gem of a bookstore that has the most amazingly carefully selected collection of both adult and children's books. I came away with my hands full! I've rarely had the experience of finding all the books I love in one tiny store. Well, this had it all -- Tintin, Asterix, Dahl, and so on. Bravo! The storeowner is a lovely, graceful lady whose passion for children's books was nothing short of infectious. So, we chatted for a while (we both love Sempe, the French cartoonist, and did I say books?). I also came away with an invitation to "work" the store on the anticipated midnight of Potter 7. I'd PAY for that opportunity as those who know me and my methodic madness well know. I think I even promised to be in some sort of costume if the young lady at the store was up for it!

Back to work and to a puzzling agreement. Sigh....

Today, I love Philly!

No comments: