Sunday, October 7, 2007

A Conversation Overheard At The Partner’s Water Cooler

Anna can’t draft a motion.
Is she trying to get fired!
Taking lunches without sanction,
why the frack Jim, was she hired?
I need worker bees, yes, slaving
on my matters all the time.
No rest, no sleep, and yes, starving!
Bill the clients and work each dime!

Can you believe, what she was
doing last night right in front
of my eyes? She didn’t even pause
when she saw me. Arrogant
frack! Her nose was in a paper,
full of news, not legal news,
just news, about Iraq. Terror,
war are very bad excuse
for not doing her work. Partial
though I am to anti-war views,
protests suit those who are able
to have all the time to lose.

Leaving early is a habit
I cannot let fester deep
in her. I’m her mentor dammit!
She has gotta learn to sleep
less! Do you think I made partner
Tucking my kids in at night,
Every night? If she wants dinner,
first, she needs to fix this cite.
This brief can’t wait for Princess,
Harvard Law’s Best. We shall see
about that! In Law’s grave biz’ness
nobody can take breaks. Agree?

Shush! Here she comes up the hallway,
Gleaming hair, new suit, but soon
we’ll put her in her place some day.
Now, it’s still the honeymoon.
I was like her when I started.
Leaving here was always on
my mind. I was not so jaded.
I wrote poems! Seems very long
Ago. I was into cooking,
tennis, how I miss those days!
Anyway, she seems to be looking
around, always in a daze.

Hi there, Anna my dear, looking
for me? I was working all
morning. Memos needed proofing.
Now, let us prep for this call.

No comments: